Tuesday, May 19, 2015

So, what now?

Right now, I am in the midst of one of the biggest transitions of my life thus far.  I am experiencing a lot of change (which I'm not generally too keen of).  This change, though, is different.  This change is messing with my sense of identity.  I have been a student of social work for the last 5 years (4 years of undergrad, 1 year of grad school).  As happy as I am to no longer be a student (and seeking employment!), I was comfortable in the role of a student.  I was good at that role.

On top of my role change, my wonderful man (who we'll call "J") and I left the state of North Carolina and moved back to our home state of New Jersey.  When I first moved to North Carolina, I was not impressed...at all.  The bugs were unnaturally huge, the humidity was insane, and the rain was unlike any rain I have ever experienced before.  Also, I moved there alone, while J was deployed overseas.  So, on top of being in an entirely new place, I was also incredibly lonely and ready to lose my mind after nearly 9 months of deployment.  Long story short,  I welcomed J home (best day EVER!) about a month after I moved to North Carolina (10 long months of deployment over!) and ended up loving my new home.  I created my own little family there, between my MSW girls and my Marine Corps family.  I became a part of something wonderful and loved being a member of that group.  I felt comfortable, loved, and taken care of.  I was happy.

Now, J and I were both very aware of his contract in the Marine Corps ending right around the time I would be graduating with my Master's of Social Work.  For the past 4.5 years, I always thought that I would be thrilled when J's contract ended.  Now, however, as it is ending, I am incredibly emotional about it.  I used to view the Marine Corps as something that kept J away from, due to years of a long distance relationship, deployment trainings, DETs, and deployments.  However, when I moved to North Carolina and was immersed in the Marine Corps lifestyle, I began to see all of the good things about it, and I grew to love it.  Now, J is on terminal leave and in the process of transitioning back into civilian life, and I am grieving the loss of my life in North Carolina.  I never expected I would miss this lifestyle so much, but now that the time to leave it is here, I miss it terribly. 

That is a lot of change, all happening at one time.  J's leaving the Marine Corps, I am no longer a student, and we are back in our home state, which doesn't quite feel so much like home anymore.  I have had my fair share of breakdowns and spouts of, "Lets go back!". However,  I am also starting (slowly, but surely) to embrace this new life.  J will be starting school in September (thanks to the G.I. Bill!) and I am job hunting like crazy (I've had 2 interviews so far that I feel good about)!  Instead of being miserable, I am making a conscious effort to be positive about this life transition.  Some days are harder than others, but I keep telling myself that a few months from now, I will most likely be thrilled about this new adventure we are on.  And most importantly, J and I are in this together.  As long as we've got each other, we'll be happy.

Have any of you experienced big life changes? What did you do to cope?

No comments:

Post a Comment